Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Water is My Sky




This teaser of a new documentary being filmed by young swimmer and filmmaker, Brian Tremml, is about the world of elite competitive swimming. Specifically, the film is the story told in the book, Gold in the Water, by P.H. Mullen, one of the most suspenseful and exciting books I've ever read about swimming. If you haven't yet, read this book while we're waiting for the film to be finished.

 "One of the most important things to do in life at least once: chase a dream with every ounce of power and conviction we can muster." P.H. Mullen, Gold in the Water

 Rowdy Gaines starts this teaser by saying the sport is "cruel".   Pursuing any goal in life with "every ounce of power and conviction we can muster" may feel cruel, painful, taking us to the edge of our endurance and testing every fiber of our character and perseverance.  Athletics is an area where a person's character is revealed.  We learn the most about ourselves when we're at the edge and dare to be the best we can possibly be.

I love the work we do.  We teach swimming, and through this, we offer an opportunity for a person discover who they really want to be.  We present the opportunity.... the athlete decides.  Every day.  Every season.  Every practice.

"How much effort am I willing to put forth?  How badly do I want this?  What will I do when I am hurt or exhausted or discouraged or beaten?  Will I find a different way?  Will I find an inner strength that I didn't know I had?  Who are my friends?  How much inner ignition and desire do I really have?"  This is one way to discover the truth about who you really are.




No comments:

Post a Comment