Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Coaching video software





A picture is worth a thousand words.

Video feedback allows a coach to talk less and the swimmer to connect the feel of what they think they're doing to what they see.

I use my iPad every day during practice and lessons to show swimmers what they look like when they're working on a new technique, or for before-and-after views of a stroke change.  I use it with our beginner swimmers to encourage them and let them see themselves, maybe for the first time... "What do you see?" I ask them.  "I'm awesome!" they say.  They are so right!  Older swimmers will pick out things they need to correct all by themselves.  I focus on praising what looks good.  

Ubersense has an iPad app that I use.  Video is easy to take, play frame by frame or slow motion, draw circles, lines and angles, and compare side by side with another video.  I can email or post a video to a swimmer so they can watch it when they get home.  I can VoiceOver and record my comments,  Ubersense is free.  http://www.ubersense.com/

Coach's Eye is another very similar iPad app which costs $4.99.  This app has the same capabilities as Ubersense.... slow motion, drawing on the video in colorful pen strokes, voiceover comments.  http://www.coachseye.com/home/purchase

Are you using another software that you like?



No comments:

Post a Comment